News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Bruise Turned to Bump

jeffmacker - Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:04 am

I got a large bruise on my arm from a cross check in hockey that lasted for a fairly long time (3 weeks) and now directly underneath there's a lump 2x2 cm (roughly) that is hard like bone but is somewhat painful to the touch. The bump is between my tricep and my bicep on the outside of my arm. The bump sticks out more when my arm is bent 45 degrees roughly. Its not visible through the skin as it feels deeper as if on the bone, or part of the bone. Is this just scar tissue from the bruise or should I get it checked out???

Any help would be great!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:26 am

User avatar Hi jeffmacker,
Bruises are caused by a collection of blood beneathe the skin's surface. Occasionally after they fade there may be a firmer feeling area at the site for a short time but not scar tissue. However, taking into consideration that this amount of time has subsided and the area is still tender to touch a fracture can not be ruled out as the causative factor. I would suggest an evaluation.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 countrycutie - Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:44 am

At 20 years old I found out that I was pregnant with my daughter. I was complimented by my doctor with a text book pregnancy and a pat on the back. Around 4 months along I bumped my shins on the footboard trying to get into bed. I had 2 very large bruises, one on each leg, and just assumed they would dissapear in a week or so. After a few weeks they started getting very painful and the bruises developed into hard knots. Like you mentioned, the knots were hard and felt like bone instead of skin and were very hot and started to swell after being on my feet for more than 15 minutes at a time. I consulted my doctor and she reassured me that it was only a hematoma (pool of blood trapped underneath the fascia which is a layer of your skin) and elevation with hot packs would cure them. After a few weeks with no improvement my doctor proceeded with tests, x-rays, and blood work of all kinds. All results were negative and my doctor was left as confused as I was. My daughter turned a year old last month and I have never been diagnosed for my symptoms. The knots have gradually gotten better, but are still there. Sometimes I wonder if my body is just learning to tolerate the knots and that's why I think they're gradually healing. If you come across any information or suggestions as to what these are or what they're caused from I would appreciate a point in the right direction for a diagnosis. Good Luck and thanks!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here