Question: Severe full body eczema.....(sigh,what to do)

Matthewlitke - Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:27 am

Ok, Ive had this stuff for a loooong time. Where talking years of bleeding cracked, severe dry skin. Severe irritation and redness, I have had staff infection twice from it. I get patches on my arms, legs, torso. I have had it bad on my feet, and have always had it bad on my hands. My skin on my hands are so..thin I guess I could call it that any brush, rub, or prick from something will gouge them and cause them to crack. After taking a shower my skin gets so dry, they start to peel and shed, and start to become tight if I do not use lotion.
I mean this is some bad stuff, Over the years it has destroyed my confidence. I have no friends, no love life, I had to quit 4 jobs because my hands could not take it. After a night of work I would have to bandage my hands because you could litterally see the pores of my hands that would puss and secrete fluid.
I have ben on the brink of losing my mind many times as the itch is soo great, so great. I can't help but to tear up a bit thinking about it. It's like an itch so bad so severe, like rolling in a poison ivy patch. Except all over the body all the time. Like bugs crawling all over your skin. I have scratched my skin with knifes, table corners, under scortching hot water, nails, what ever would give me a release from it. I have scratched my skin so deep with my nails on a daily basis that my skin bleeds. I peel large layers of skin off because it just scratches off.
The thing about the itch that gets me....is when I give in to the urge, the feeling. It feels almost euphoric for about 4-5 minutes before it feels like excrutiating pain. When this happens my skin is rubbed so raw and so bare they bleed and puss. I have tried tons of creams and lotions and ointments.
I'm dying slowly from this stuff. I cannot take it anymore, im tire of not sleeping because of it, im tired of scratching and itching. Im tired of planning my days around my hands and skin instead of the other way around. I am tired of not being able to work from it. Some days I can do good, others i do bad. Some days I can barely use my hands. My face gets scaly dry after showers.
every time I even lightly scratch my ear in the back it starts to "leak" and secrete fluid. The fluid drys as a yellow crusty stuff. I lack cuticals on both my hands, all my nails have lines in them along with divets and indents. I am unemployed right now, my only chance of getting a job is with my brother painting houses, I have done one day and my hands where about destroyed. I realy do not know what to do. I don't know if I can get on disability or what. This stuff is damaging me mentally and physically.
Can anybody help? I have tried enless things people have suggested. I just want to be normal, I want to be able to get my hands wet without having to condition them, or use lotion every 10 minutes. I look at people with normal hands and it amazes me that they can do every day stuff with no problem at all.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:53 am

User avatar Hello,Eczema is a general term used to indicate the condition which is a final common expression of multiple disorders starting from childhood atopic eczema to old age asteatotic eczema with seborrheic,contact,allergic forms inbetween.
The itch,pleasure,inflammation,infection cycle lead to further eczematization.
The treatment consists of breaking this cycle.Antihistaminics control the itch,antibiotics tackle the infection,steroids control the inflammation and thus all these may be included in therapy.
To identify the allergen if possible should be undertaken.Patch testing is designed to document sensitivity to an allergen or antigen.If identified would go a long way in avoidance and recurrence.
You should get the test done and take up appropriate treatment.Surely,you would benefit from this and it will help you to settle in professions in which the allergen could be avoidable.

|