News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Boil on buttocks, right cheek

reggiepaul - Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi,

So I got a boil a few days ago, on my right buttocks. It was extremely painful where I could not sit down without pain. After the 2nd day I went to walgreens and purchased Campho Phenique for cold sores, and applied that to the boil. The next day, the boil was softer, (not drained) but a little less painful.

After another day passed (today) the boil has still not drained, but has become a lot less painful. I can finally sit without too much pain.

I can still feel a ball when I sit due to fluid build up, but how long will it take to drain or go away? I went to the gym today and it hurt when I ran on the treadmill.

Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:55 pm

User avatar Hi,
Your history is suggestive of an abscess.Only a clinical examination will clarify whether this is
- a superficial boil:(folliculitis - infection in hair follicle confined to the epodermis),
- a deeper boil:(furuncle - infection in hair follicle extending into the dermis),
- a carbuncle:(interconnecting subcutaneous abscesses arising from infection of several neighboring hair follicles which extend deeper into the sub-cuteneous tissue. Multiple draining sinuses develop),
- an infected epidermoid("sebaceous") cyst,
- an ischio-rectal abscess(an anal gland infection spreading into the ischio-rectal space) etc.

Majority of these infections are due to Staph aureus. Community aquired MRSA (CA-MRSA) needs to be considered in people with co-morbidities such as diabetes, immunocompromise, old age etc.

Management:
- Dry heat (Hot packs) or Moist heat (compresses) are commonly advised and can be applied several times a day until drainage or resolution. This alone may be sufficient for the more superficial types.
- Surgical incision and drainage, is the mainstay in the management of large furuncles and carbuncle.One must not wait for fluctuation to appear in cases of ischio-rectal abscesses.
- Systemic antibiotics are usually not needed unless fever or significant surrounding cellulitis is evident or if systemic symptoms are present.

You should ideally consult a doctor who will be able to decide about the ideal course of action.
Good day!
 reggiepaul - Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:07 am

Thank you Dr.

The boil has reduced greatly since posting this. It doesn't hurt anymore, I'm just waiting for it to heal now.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:20 pm

User avatar Hi reggiepaul,
Thank you for updating about your progress.I am glad you have improved.Good day!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here