News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Chigger Bites and Welts...infected?!

sandyland - Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:48 am

I recently became the proud owner of about 150 chigger bites after spending some time on the beach a few days ago. The bites are on my arms, under my arm pits, on my stomach, legs and abdomen. The place with the most bites is on the back and inside of one of my thighs. There are so many there it has basically become one huge welt...about the size of a fist and is very hard and a bit sore to the touch.
I did a bit of research to find remedies and came across info regarding secondary infection and now am wondering if I should go see a doctor.
How can I tell if it's infected? Is a large welt normal when there are so many bites in one area?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:06 am

User avatar Hello,Chiggers are larval form of a mite,very small and red in appearance and commonly found in damp areas.The larva injects enzymes in to the skin and feeds on the skin dead tissue.
These enzymes irritate the skin and could lead to welt formation and itching.This is more due to the allergen and not due to infection.
Secondary infection is possible charcterized by pain,redness,swelling,and heat formation.
If there is associated fever,pain it could mean sec.infection.Antihistamines and calamine application are generally enough for bites.Infection needs internal antibiotics.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here