Question: Chigger Bites and Welts...infected?!

sandyland - Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:48 am

I recently became the proud owner of about 150 chigger bites after spending some time on the beach a few days ago. The bites are on my arms, under my arm pits, on my stomach, legs and abdomen. The place with the most bites is on the back and inside of one of my thighs. There are so many there it has basically become one huge welt...about the size of a fist and is very hard and a bit sore to the touch.
I did a bit of research to find remedies and came across info regarding secondary infection and now am wondering if I should go see a doctor.
How can I tell if it's infected? Is a large welt normal when there are so many bites in one area?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:06 am

User avatar Hello,Chiggers are larval form of a mite,very small and red in appearance and commonly found in damp areas.The larva injects enzymes in to the skin and feeds on the skin dead tissue.
These enzymes irritate the skin and could lead to welt formation and itching.This is more due to the allergen and not due to infection.
Secondary infection is possible charcterized by pain,redness,swelling,and heat formation.
If there is associated fever,pain it could mean sec.infection.Antihistamines and calamine application are generally enough for bites.Infection needs internal antibiotics.

|