News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Fleshy, Sticky Plugs Deep in Pores, Cannot Identify

M7166 - Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:45 am

there is a spot on my nose that i've rubbed raw washing, trying to get these "things" out of my pores. these are not whiteheads, nor blackheads. these are clusters of white or fleshy hard and sticky plugs-- not filled with anything, but they stick straight out from the pores. There are probably around 10 of them clustered in a space about 1/4 inch BUT they are discrete entities. Although they are in the same area they are not touching each other at all, like HPV might; instead they come out of their own pore. If I rub the area w/ a towel they do not rub off at all. I tried to remove a few with tweezers (bad idea), and they very tacky (as in sticky) and clearly go deep in the poor. Part of them broke off but I could still see that the pore was plugged and a day or two later top of the plug was sticking out again. i can't find ANYTHING online that looks like it and would give me some clue as to what they are and how serious it might be. I hope you can help.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:56 pm

User avatar Hello,Interesting.The area you mention is what we call as pilosebaceous follicle and what you may be looking at may be follicular plugs of keratin.Of couse blackheads top the list next comes a commoner genetic condition called Keratosis Pilaris which would cause visible black plugs but commoner areas would be arms.VitA deficiency would cause similar findings but more common in childhood.
But my clinical impression would be of Trichostasis Spinulosa in which clusters of vellous hairs would get embedded in the hair follicle and is known in olderindividuals in contrast with the other two.Nose is the typical site.
Pressure extraction with a comedo extracter is a known treatment.Depilators and lasers are other modalities.
Do consult a dermatologist.This is not a serious condition but of cosmetic importance.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here