Question: Fleshy, Sticky Plugs Deep in Pores, Cannot Identify

M7166 - Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:45 am

there is a spot on my nose that i've rubbed raw washing, trying to get these "things" out of my pores. these are not whiteheads, nor blackheads. these are clusters of white or fleshy hard and sticky plugs-- not filled with anything, but they stick straight out from the pores. There are probably around 10 of them clustered in a space about 1/4 inch BUT they are discrete entities. Although they are in the same area they are not touching each other at all, like HPV might; instead they come out of their own pore. If I rub the area w/ a towel they do not rub off at all. I tried to remove a few with tweezers (bad idea), and they very tacky (as in sticky) and clearly go deep in the poor. Part of them broke off but I could still see that the pore was plugged and a day or two later top of the plug was sticking out again. i can't find ANYTHING online that looks like it and would give me some clue as to what they are and how serious it might be. I hope you can help.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:56 pm

User avatar Hello,Interesting.The area you mention is what we call as pilosebaceous follicle and what you may be looking at may be follicular plugs of keratin.Of couse blackheads top the list next comes a commoner genetic condition called Keratosis Pilaris which would cause visible black plugs but commoner areas would be arms.VitA deficiency would cause similar findings but more common in childhood.
But my clinical impression would be of Trichostasis Spinulosa in which clusters of vellous hairs would get embedded in the hair follicle and is known in olderindividuals in contrast with the other two.Nose is the typical site.
Pressure extraction with a comedo extracter is a known treatment.Depilators and lasers are other modalities.
Do consult a dermatologist.This is not a serious condition but of cosmetic importance.

|