News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Blood in birthmark

hockey4ever - Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:16 am

The other day I was looking at a birthmark on my leg (about 1/5 of a cm in diameter), and noticed that it was raised a tiny bit. So I scratched it and a small amount of blood came out of it. Is this normal?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:30 pm

User avatar Hello,While it is quite common for vascular nevi ie nevi related to blood vessels to bleed on injury yet every case of bleeding from moles especially from pigmented ones need to be looked at just to make sure that it is nothing more than injury causing it.
Any change in size,colour,borders,texture change or bleeding or itching need the lesion to be examined by a doctor.Dermoscopy is a noninvasive procedure which will give valuble information.
While it is quite possible it is nothing more than a injury based bleeding you should still show to your doctor.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here