News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: what can i do about my severe acne problem

rita29 - Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:47 pm

I am a 20 year old female and I have had acne since I was 13,although initially it was just random pimples that appeared while my monthly flow was approaching,but now its more severe and is damaging my facial skin.I am a light skinned black female so these acne and the spots resulting from them are very obvious on my face and embarassing too.I have tried so many regular products especially ones containing benzoyl peroxide or sallicylic acid but to no avail.People keep telling me to ignore them and I would grow out of it but when I decide not to treat it anymore it gets even worse.Pls I am in desperate need of a remedy for this my situation.Thanks for your most anticipated support.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:05 pm

User avatar Hello Rita29,The severity of Acne is worst at 17to18 in females and19 to 21 in males.The natural course of the condition will limit to age of aroud 25 in most after which acne would resolve.But then damage could occur in the form of scars,cysts and drug induced allergies.Family history and genes have a role in this condition.
Also most patients do not have direct hormonal problems.It is only the sensitivity of some persons pilosebaceous apparatus to the circulating hormones like androgens.
Diets do not modulate the course of this condition and is more of a myth here.
The differential diagnosis would include drug induce,occupational,cosmetic and severe cystic types.
Treatment modalities would be to control the different factors involved.They range from exfoliants,external antibiotics,keratolytics etc.Internal antibiotics,VitA isomers,lasrs,and surgical measures are the other treatments depending on severity.
Professional help is needed in severe cases.Do consult a dermatologist and follow up.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here