Question: what can i do about my severe acne problem

rita29 - Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:47 pm

I am a 20 year old female and I have had acne since I was 13,although initially it was just random pimples that appeared while my monthly flow was approaching,but now its more severe and is damaging my facial skin.I am a light skinned black female so these acne and the spots resulting from them are very obvious on my face and embarassing too.I have tried so many regular products especially ones containing benzoyl peroxide or sallicylic acid but to no avail.People keep telling me to ignore them and I would grow out of it but when I decide not to treat it anymore it gets even worse.Pls I am in desperate need of a remedy for this my situation.Thanks for your most anticipated support.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:05 pm

User avatar Hello Rita29,The severity of Acne is worst at 17to18 in females and19 to 21 in males.The natural course of the condition will limit to age of aroud 25 in most after which acne would resolve.But then damage could occur in the form of scars,cysts and drug induced allergies.Family history and genes have a role in this condition.
Also most patients do not have direct hormonal problems.It is only the sensitivity of some persons pilosebaceous apparatus to the circulating hormones like androgens.
Diets do not modulate the course of this condition and is more of a myth here.
The differential diagnosis would include drug induce,occupational,cosmetic and severe cystic types.
Treatment modalities would be to control the different factors involved.They range from exfoliants,external antibiotics,keratolytics etc.Internal antibiotics,VitA isomers,lasrs,and surgical measures are the other treatments depending on severity.
Professional help is needed in severe cases.Do consult a dermatologist and follow up.

|