Question: removing a keliod from my ear.

suki23 - Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:02 pm

I was wondering if dermatologist remove a keliod on the cartilidge of ears? I went to my family doctor about it but was told it was it was to large to remove in her office. Its about 1/4 inch when measured across. If a keliod is removed how likely is it that it will form again? Is there anything to do to prevent a keliod from forming? Thanks for your time.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:01 pm

User avatar Hello,Keloidal tendency and keloid formation is more common in some races and in persons, cause unknown.This formation is the cutaneous response to injury.The injuries common to cause would include burns,skin piercings,and post surgical.
Certain dermatological conditions like cystic acne,folliculitis,hidradenitis,plinoidal sinus are also associated.
Surgery may not be the best option except in large keloids since it can lead to unsightly bizzare scar formation post surgical.Sometimes radiation is used after surgery to avoid complications.
The other commnly used modalities would be intraleisonal steroids,lasers,imiquimod silicone sheets and cryotherapy.Despite modern advances treatment of keloids has not given perfect results in resolving the condition with satisfaction.
Prevention is important by not getting piercings done.Those with tendency should avoid elective skin surgeries.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:25 pm

Dr.Jagesh has made it very clear that many treatments exist for the management of keloids. Unfortunately, in the majority of cases, more than one modality becomes necessary. Often a combination works better than a single modality!

|