Question: Why are the areas around my nose red?

tokijitza - Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:06 pm

After I had a bad impetigo around my nose, I noticed within a year that the redness hasn't left my nose. After I did some research I found out that the redness should clear up within a month and it has been over a year and it hasn't. The areas around the holes of my nose are red and I don't know how to treat them! I went to the doctor and used all kinds of creams but nothing worked. I tried vitamin E oil but I haven't seen any improvements. What should I do? Please Help!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:05 am

User avatar Hello,The area you mention is the Ala Nasi area and the persisting redness is your complaint.
You are right that impetigo should have resolved in a month or less.Also it would perhaps leave behind a pigmented area which again would fade in a few weeks.
If you had used a steroid antibiotic for a longer time could lead to persistent redness and atrophy of skin.The red area would be dialated blood vessels called telangectasias.
Apart from this reaction to sunlight could leave behind a persisting redness.Less common in your age group is Rosacea which first can appear as redness of nasal area due to dialatation of blood vessels.
You should get examined by a dermatologist to rule out these conditions.

|