Question: cluster of bumps on head

dhealth - Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:25 am

No history of head or skin problems. Recently buzzed hair very short. Now have a 1" cluster of bumps on top of my head. Not too itchy. Looks like pimples. Is this Pseudofolliculitis barbae? Will this likely just go away on its own or how best is this treated. Thank you.
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/4rqq2s9kl3eykt11hr1.jpg
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/xu5ptxwafor9ew20uc3b.jpg
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:31 am

User avatar Hello,Psedofolliculitis barbae is a condition in which curling or tough hairs irritate the skin to form papules which do not itch or pain.These are not caused by infection and mostly affect the beard area.In your case these probably represent a staphylococcal folliculitis.If these go deeper they are known as furuncles.Most of these infections respond to external application of antibiotic cremes like mupurocin.Severe infections need antibiotics orally or parenterally in severe cases.Just for information,though it is not applicable here,nasal furuncles should be treated with utmost urgency for these can spread retrograde to the cavernous sinus below the brain base.Dislodging the hair from the tunnel it has caused, is the treatment for pseudofolliculitis.A dermatological inspection is necessary to differentiate.
In your case nothing more may be needed other than topical antibiotics.If it recurs may be an indication for cultureand sensitivity tests to get at the right antibiotic after identifying the bacteria.
 dhealth - Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Hello Dr. Kamath,
Thanks for the response. Went to a dermatologist today and he diagnosed it as seborrheic keratosis or verruca plana. He 'froze' them with a spray and suggested I come back in 4 weeks to do it again.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:12 am

User avatar Hello Dehealth,Seborrheic keratosis is commoner after 40 or even much later.Sometimes it presents with visible Puctate Horn Pseudocysts which have masqueraded and given a look of PsedoFolliculiitis in your case.Good to know that you got a Cryo done.Best wishes.
 flowrider - Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:16 pm

I have been trying to get some help and it seems no one wants to help me with my problem why is this?

|