Question: Ingrown hairs after shaving!

facialfrustrated - Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:11 pm

I have these awful ingrown facial hairs that pop up some time after shaving. They are large red sores that are always puss filled and sometimes come out looking like small sesame seeds--yuk! It is always right along my jawbone line from my chin to the bottom of my ear lobe. Never on my cheek or anywhere else. My wife thinks that the best remedy is to use a sterile needle and pop the sore, then remove the hair. I don't like that idea. Could it lead to scars on my face? They are painful, awful looking and need to go. I'm 33, have been diagnosed some years ago with psoriasis ( have taken Methroxate (sic?)) worked wonders but don't want to have a steroid shot evey month that could cause further medical conditions. What I have done to correct the problem: Switched to a single razor, shave with the grain(always down), very hot water in shower to open pores- started using Shave Secret for shaving, use a post shave anit bump balm. Don't know what else to do. I've even tried to jsut not shave but my attempt at a beard looks more like an old do I once had that constantly had the mange! Please help!!!!! By the way, what is a good creme, oral medication for psoriasis? The winter time brings on my wors conditions of dry cracked skin on my fingers and nails to the point where I have to wrap my fingers due to the bleeding. thanks!!!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:55 am

User avatar Hello,Recent works on epiluminescence microscopy has given a good patient compliance in Pseudofolliculitis barbae.This allows proper visualization of the loop of hair and cutting it there.Rest is fine.You are doing what is require to be done but all said and done, the hair sometimes does not follow our rules!
Regarding the good application for Psoriasis lot of external applications are tried and sometimes combinations either of external applications or combined therapy with internal medications.However we are still far away from an ideal treatment for this condition.
External steroids of different potencies,Calcipotriene,Tazoratene,Anthralins,Coal tar,Lactic acid,Salycilic acid,Picrolemus,Tacrolimus,Moisturizers are the applications either alone or in combination.Dry itchy skin responds better to ointment base.
Gels are best for scalp,Axilla and groin respond better to a creme base.Fissures respond best to thick ointments.Occulsion helps in palms,soles and highly thickened skin.Small patches respond well to intralesional steroids.
The drugs are used as combinations,or in rotations,Or sequential therapy starting from high potency with a mild medication for long term.
While I can not recommend you any medications with out examining you hope you will find this useful in learning the different options in external treatment of Psoriasis.

|