News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Cold sore like blisters on chest arm and forehead

jobabyjojo - Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi ive got a rash which initially the pharmacist and others were saying was chicken pox even though ive had that before. they are basically just like cold sores except they are not on my mouth i have 4 across my chest one developing on my wrist and nose and 3 on my forehead. they are extremely itchy, starting out looking like lil red spots with puss inside but if you itch developing into a blister, exactly like cold sores. ive mostly been putting calamine lotion on them and holding ice on them to curb the itching. theyve been developing over the last 5 days and ive been to my gp and he didnt know what it was just mentioned urticaria and gave me betnovate cream and prescribed antihistamines for the itching. ive been looking online and cant find anything described like this... please if you can help identify this, i don't want this spreading even more over my body.

here are some pictures

http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad76/jobabyjojo6/
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:35 am

User avatar Hello,The clinical picture and the picture sent makes one think of Dermatitis Herpetiformis a condition caused due to circulating immune complexes. The patient's skin would develop very itchy,vesicular lesions arranged in a group and urticaria like rashes.Early picture may be very difficult to diagnose and may resemble pox.Scalp,face,chest,back are the areas of predilection and later are symmetrical as the condition advances.
This condition is associated in some with gluten sesitization.
Though I can not say with certainity just from photographs, you may need a complete blood analysis,and biopsy to get a definitive diagnosis.
Other than DH we have to also think of common bullous impetigo(More common in children),other viral skin infections,and contact dermatitis.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here