Question: Razor bumps for longer then 6 months (from shaving)

Chibiusa - Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:15 pm

I had razor bumps on my thighs for longer then 6 months (from shaving) and it won't go away... I tried using alcohol and scrubbing with soap but it won't go away. Is there a way to make it go away? Thank You
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:59 am

User avatar Hello,Razor bumps or otherwise known as pseudofolliculitis barbae are quite common in blacks due to the curly nature of hair.When the hair is cut too close it turns a loop and enters the skin and tunnels in.This irritation leads to acne or folliculitis lesions.These are not caused by bacteria.
Manual removal or with the help of recent Epiluminescence dermatoscope procedure is an option.
External application of Eflornithine hydrochloride creme helps in prevention.Home treatment would be to let the hair to grow out without shaving and then cut not too close to the skin.Depilators are the other choice but do bear in mind the irritation potentialities.Do consult your doctor.

|