Question: Demodex Mites or Scabies folliculitis? (pictures)

flowrider - Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:18 pm

I have been living with what Doctors and Dermatologist's would diagnose as folliculitis.

well here is a little description on how my living condition is. As of right now i am staying with mother and brother sharing a three bedroom apartment. We all use the same shower my brother sometimes uses my towel when i told him a million times not to but as of a couple of months i have been using my own towel making sure the towel stays in my room since the outbreak.

Around the month of November of 2009 i had unprotected sex with a female basically a one night stand.

I never had acne throughout my life maybe one or two small pimples here and there but never nothing major like whats happening to me now!!

I usually shave my hair short with a barber machine (clippers) once every two weeks no one else but myself uses the clippers. I clean it every time i use it with a special spray that kills bacteria and i also apply alcohol after the spray and let it sit for about a hour soaked

Around the month when this outbreak happened February i was using my brothers hat he had laying around the house i used the hat to go outside since it was winter sometimes i would use the hat while my head was still wet mind you that i do shave my head bald

On the same month February i had a bad out break on my neck arms back shoulder even head intense itching through my body the itching was so intense i had to run to a dermatologist that stated i had folliculitis (i already knew this by researching online) which he did not treat me properly he gave me a script for doxycicline 150 mg and clindamyacin topical gel infact of his prescribing me this it made matters worst i waited to finish the rounds of antibiotics and the itching got worst after the treatment was done my arms chest back head neck exploded with folliculitis

At that time i had to run to the emergency room when i got to see the MD they where very concerned the folliculitis was due to a staph infection so i got a blood X2 for staph lab work done and a culture the blood came back as negative for staph culture from the puss wound came back as staphalococcus capitis (coagulase negative) sensitivity-resistant report came back with the culture and was prescribed clindamycin 300mg taken 4 times a day.

The clindamycin seem to help but while taking the course folliculitis still seemed to grow not as much as before but 2 or 3 bumps a day finished the round of clindamycin and folliculitis still active and i still have the itching at night is when the itching it is at it's worst.

went to see a infectious disease Dr Thursday and what she prescribed me was ivermectin (scromectol) 3mg take 9mg then repeat in two weeks with permethrin 5% she did not do a skin scrape of any sort but she was concerned about scabies.

i have another dermatologist appointment in September my infectious disease doctor would want me to see for further evaluation

i have pictures here with what i have on my neck and head please be in mind i also have the same lesions through out my chest arms and back some on the buttocks area can a dermatologist give me a little detail on what they think i could possibly have since my appointment isn't till September please.

Image

Image
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 am

User avatar Hello,Your post,I had to reserve since it required little more work for the grey cells!The second photo,the neck lesions remind one of ecthyma which is a deeper folliculitis.This occurs in people with reduced immunity as in diabetes and immunodeficiency.You may do well to get investigated along these lines just to make sure.While scabies is common scalp involvement is rare.The other way goes for pediculosis capitis,body involvement is not common.The line of action in your case would be to do a culture and sensitivity test,identify the organism and treat with the required antibiotic.It is not uncommon for the lesions to persist in chronic folliculitis.Papulonecrotic tuberculids would be a differential diagnosis.

|