News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: puss filled lumps on inner thigh

scotty23 - Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:40 am

Hi i have been getting these lumps on my inner thighs for some time now.The lumps to touch feel hard but have a tender section at the top that if i leave to do its own thing will just go down eventually but will leave puplish scars and usually reappear in same spot.The first one i got was rtemoved and doctor said was problem an ingrown hair but i have never had this problem up until about a year ago.hopefully there is people with the same issue as the doctors just don't seem to give me an answer on what they are.
Again they are filled with puss and blood and can get very painful to move about with.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:13 am

User avatar Hi,
From the history provided, it seems more likely that they are either
- sebeceous cysts (epidermoid cysts)- which arise from sebaceous glands or
- trichelemmal cysts(pilar cysts) - arise from outer root sheaths of hairs.

Both are similar in many ways. Both may get infected and discharge pus. They may be single, multiple or recurrent. Surgery is the preferred treatment for both. Surgical removal should be complete, or else, recurrences will ensue.

The distinguishing feature of a sebaceous cyst is the presence of a spot roughly at its summit ("punctum"). This feature is not seen in trichelemmal cysts.

As you seem to have a family history of diabetes mellitus, and experiencing frequent infections in these swellings, it is good to get your blood sugars checked periodically.
Best wishes!
 Nathalie28 - Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Scotty, that sounds an awful lot like hidradenitis suppurativa. Normally I would never put my two cents in, but it often goes misdiagnosed due to sufferers' embarrassment over the subject. HS causes boils in the groin area or under the arms or both. It also leaves the same purplish scars you're describing. Please look into this.
 CrystalAge - Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:53 am

Hi, I have a cyst on my thigh (and it's black) ever since I was 7 year old, and I am 14 years old now. So, is it dangerous to just leave it ? I have a cyst surgery when i was 12 years old and last year, another one just grew on my waist and i just leave it be. Now i had another one grew out on my 'public area' and I'm embarrast about it. I'm shy to talk about it with the others, so it's obvious that i can't show it to the doctor. So, is there any way i can remove the cyst by myself or is there any medicine/drug i can use to remove it, any way ? Or any suggestion?
If so,I'll appreciate and be thankful to you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:36 am

User avatar Hi CrystalAge,
It is very difficult indeed to guess what these "cysts" that you are referring to could be without a physical examination.The details given are inadequate. Therefore, it is best to consult your doctor who, after examining you will be able to tell you about the nature of these cysts.
I urge you not to attempt to remove them by yourself as complications may arise from such misadventures.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here