Question: Sudden allergies, sign of underlying problem?

valleymist - Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:56 pm

I'm 21 years old and never had problems with allergies growing up and the only skin problem I had was mild eczema on my wrists that would only occur in the winter. I haven't had that problem in years. I've always been able to use various products and no sensitivities to perfumes either. Lately, in the last couple of years and especially just in the last 2 months I've been developing allergies and sensitivities to many things. I seem to have mild seasonal allergies now that I never used to and many products I have been using cause rashes or bumps on my skin. I've switched over to products that now say 'for sensitive skin' and I avoid fragrances as much as possible. Just last week I tried a new face cleanser and my lips started to swell, crack and blister and it travelled down my chin a little bit. I took benadryl and it looks a lot better now. I discontinued using the cleanser and now I noticed my face cream (which I have been using for a year now) has caused a reaction to all the dry spots around my mouth, chin and jaw where I had been applying it. They are red itchy bumps. So now I don't even know what cream to use anymore. I'm curious if all these allergic reactions I've been getting lately are normal to develop later in life, or if it could be a sign of something else going on?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:38 am

User avatar Hello,The incidence of Allergic Contact Dermatitis is commoner in women and tends to increase as one grows older.Also people with a family history of Atopy ie Allergies in family are more vulnerable.Since you have a history of eczema this hasto be borne in mind.
Cosmetics,fragrances,preservatives,dyes,and medicaments all can cause sensitization.
Nickel dermatitis is extremely common in women so are chromates.Ear rings,household cutlery,leather,PPD in hair dye,creme preservatives,stockings all can induce allergy in some.
How do we recognize the allergen?It is by patch testing with a contact dermatitis testig battery.
Reduction if not elemination is the mainstay of management.Use of barrier cremes can be considered .Despite measures the allergy tends to persist in some.
Antihistaminics internally and soothing lotions like calamine do help.Severe cases need prescription steroids externally or oral.

|