Question: Allergic reaction to the sun?

3DGSevenfold - Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm a 23 year old female and have been experiencing some weird symptoms as of late. I'll start from the beginning. Back in November I had tonsillitis which i thought was the flu at first because of the fever and vomiting but after going to the ENT he confirmed that my tonsils were infected and causing me the flu like symptoms. I got over that within a week or so and after started developing this crazy itch. It first started on the palms of my hands and then my fingers and then both my armpits. They'd itch so bad to the point where I was scratching so hard it would bleed. I then started having itching near my groin area, neck stomach, and under my legs/thighs (creases). Next thing I notice is that I can feel my lymph node near my right armpit and then I felt one on each side of my groin and neck on both sides where all the itching was happening. got extremely freaked out cause I know it is not normal to have enlarged lymph nodes but I didn't and still don't have any other symptoms aside from that.

Well, I went to the dermatologist finally after 3 months of dealing with it. They checked me out and I told them about the enlarged nodes and they did a punch biopsy on my node near the armpit. The results came back as no evidence of malignancy and that I had pitryiasis rosea. The doc gave me an atopic lotion/steroid and after using it for a couple weeks I had no longer had itching and the infection in my skin went away. Still though, my nodes are enlarged. They've never grown in size from what I can tell and they are movable and painless. Sometimes I feel as if they are shrinking but then I touch them so much and I'm wondering if that's why it won't go do down. Every now and again I do start to scratch the same areas due to it itching but it's not nearly as bad as before. But fast forward to this past week. Anytime I'm out in the sun I start to get these welts, or hives on my arms and sometimes on my legs. They look as if I've been bitten by a mosquito and it swells up. After about 20-30 minutes if being indoors it completely disappears. This has just started to happened in the past couple weeks and I don't know what it could be? I'm wondering if maybe it's linked to everything that's been happening with my nodes, rosea, etc or if it's something completely different. I'm going to make an appointment this week back to the dermatologist but wanted some advice on what it might be and what I should do. I haven't got a blood test done in awhile so I'm thinking that should be done. I'm just scared cause my anxiety is through the roof and I'm always thinking something is wrong with me.

Thanks for reading! Hope to hear from you soon.
 3DGSevenfold - Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:12 am

Update:

I went to the Dermatologist about my reaction to the sun, they suggested I start taking Zyrtec and wear sun block when I'm outside even if just for a short time. I also saw my family doctor the following day for a routine physical. She checked my node in my arm and said it was very small and movable and therefore not a problem, she didn't check the ones in my groin though. She didn't seem to think it was a problem. Also did some blood work. CBC, Lipid, etc.. this was this past Thursday. Just wondering what you think about all of this and when do blood results normally usually come back? I got them done at the lab literally across the street from the office. Also, my doctor seems to think that back in November I had Mono and not tonsillitis due to all the symptoms. Still kinda confused on all of this so any input would be greatly appreciated. :)
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:18 am

User avatar Hello,Tracing out your history from infectious mononuleosis,the rash in mononucleosis would have been transient and non itchy.Also most cases of pityriasis rosea do not itch either.There is a possiblity that what you have are persistent nodes from the mononucleosis.
But then how about the itchy rash?Patients on mononuleosis when the develop sorethroat are sometimes treated as bacterial infection with amoxycillin.This causes a peculiar itchy rash, limited only to this EBV Virus to this group of antibiotics.Once the condition of mononucleosis is cured they are no longer allergic to the drug.So if you had been prescribed amoxcillin earlier I would seriously think of this possiblity sice this severe itching has been mistaken as other conditions.
You may need tests to rule out connective tissue disorders due to the photosensitivity,and the nodes.But it is likely that you have only a photoallergy which is quite common.

|