News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Large Hematoma 1 year ago, Still faint bruise

NervousNelly81 - Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:05 am

Hello,

On April 6th 2009, I had a C-section. Very soon after my surgery a large hematoma the size of a grapefruit appeared on my abdomen. I was loosing blood and needed 3 transfusions. The hematoma turned hot and hard. It turned out I had absesses with 2 liters of infected fluid! I needed a catheter in my abdomen and PICC line to remove infection. I was very sick.

The CT scan showed no more infection. All that is left is a small faint bruise on my abdomen. It is still tender if I poke it. 2 doctors checked my bruise and said it was soft, and would go away in a few months. A few months have passed, and I was wondering how long can a bruise last? I am a little nervous! Thank you so much!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:04 pm

User avatar Hi,
It appears that you had developed a post-operative hemorrhage/hematoma, leading to perhaps, an organ/space surgical site infection.

Thankfully, it appears to be settling down, although you notice some induration.

Some un-drained abscesses following antibiotic therapy, tend to remain indurated, like a mass. These are sometimes referred to as "antibiomas".It is possible that in your case, an area of the original abscess might have turned into an antibioma-like situation.Hopefully this should settle down sponteneously. However, you should watch out for any signs of fever or increasing tenderness and report to your surgeon in case these occur.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here