Question: extremely itchy, irritating underside of scrotum

joe1983 - Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:07 am

I'm a 26 yr old male.I have had this problem for months. The first time I went to the doctor he prescribed me some anti-yeast cream; I had complained about general itching in the groin area that wouldn't go away in spite of using over the counter jock-itch meds. The cream helped to some extent but the scrotum itch still wouldn't go away. So I went to the doctor again, this time he prescribed me some tablets (Grifulvin V 500mg) which I took daily. The scrotum itch is still there and I have already finished take all the tablets within the last month; the prescription still has one refill left that will last for about a month. I have washed the area thoroughly daily and sometimes apply cortisone to alleviate the irritation. It worked temporarily but the itch would always come back. It has become so unbearable at times that it keeps me from sleeping at night. I've discovered that the most effective and quickest way to temporarily get rid of the itch is to take benadryl or some other antihistamine. Is there anything I can do to actually cure this condition permanently?

thanks
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:55 pm

User avatar Hello,You seem to be having severe itching at night scrotal area despite antifungal therapy and steroid cremes.This calls for revisiting the diagnosis.
Scabies can present as localized itching and could be only in the scrotal or penile area.They tend to itch especially at night.Caused by Sarcoptes Scabiei, the parasite burrows through the skin and easily transmitted.The nocturnal nature of the itch mite makes it come out at night, leading to unbearable itching.Generally there would be other people in the family or hostel affected.
This can be contracted by sexual contact thoug not classified as STD.
After diagnosis treatment would be application of permethin creme for all family members,applied below neck all over the body left on body for 8hrs and washed, once a week for two applications.The clothes,and linen used in 48hrs dry cleaned.
Do get confirmed by your doctor and get treated.

|