News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Breaking out in Hives 5-10 times per day.

Grayvyn - Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:25 am

I'm 15, and since a school field trip to DC in 9/2010 (probably a coincidence), I break out in Hives for anywhere between 1-30 minutes. My upper chest ALWAYS gets red, and in extreme breakouts I am entirely red (one of these bad breakouts happened in my doctor's office & I got a referral to a doctor @ Vanderbuilt ASAP Clinic). The best way to describe the feeling is that needles are pushing out of my skin.

What brings the Hives on is...
HEAT!!! Mainly heat.
Stressful/akward moments
when I get out of the shower & I put on a new set of clothes (idk why)
50% it's comepletely random with nothing bringing it on (ex. My dad and I were relaxing & bowling & BAM.)

I've basically never leave the house now & have transferred to a completely different school with only 10 ppl in it (to relax me...)

my doctor has me on 4 antihistimenes, although my insurance won't fill 2 of them, working on it.

Posting this in desperation.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:35 am

User avatar Hello,Urticarias or hives as they are called if they persist as episodes for more than 6 to 8 weeks would be called chronic urticaria.Idiopathic urticarias are the types in which cause remains unknown.The treatments are rather palliative than curative.The good thing about this rather disturbing condition is that prognosis is good.Also spontaneous remission is most likely.
The main treatment is indeed antihistamines and treatment would mean finding the right dose without severe side effects.
You will have to persist in taking medications,and surely you would recover in time, possibly in a few months.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here