Question: Hard bump on lip from puncture

Inneedofhelp3 - Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:54 am

A few years ago I was swimming in a crowded pool and got elbowed in the face, which caused one of my teeth to puncture my lip. Ever since, I have this condensed ball in my lip that sort of has a white stripe. I recently got fed up with it, and was wondering if there is a way to get rid of it? I am 95% sure it is NOT a mucocele because it is inside my lip, and isn't very big at all.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:50 am

Firstly, a mucocele of the lip can very well occur on the inside of the lip.They are benign and harmless.

But a lesion such as you are describing mandates exclusion of one diagnosis:
- tumors of the minor salivary glands: there are hundreds of minor salivary glands widely distributed in the oral cavity (lips, hard palate, soft palate, tongue, floor of the mouth), larynx, nasal cavity, Paranasal sinuses, and Parapharyngeal spaces.

Of the parotid neoplasms, 70-80% are benign. More than 50% of tumors of the submandibular gland and 80% of tumors of minor salivary glands are found to be malignant.

Therefor any solid lump in the lip should be approached with caution and should be assumed to be a minor salivary gland neoplasm unless proved otherwise.

|