Question: Chances of Hair re-growth in my head

hitmanid - Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:22 am

Sir
Im Male 23 and i had very dense hair naturally, but i started to lose my hair gradually now my front part of my head has very little hair left. I consulted doctor and used 2% and 5% minoxidol solutions but i cannot see any improvement. So how can i regrow my hair?
Thanx in advance
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:33 am

Our hairs are under the control of genes, hormones, minerals and vitamins. The genes play an important role in hair growth and hair fall. The commonest problem in male is androgenic alopecia in which the hair is lost in on the front , centre and sides making it a "M" shaped hair pattern loss. the hair gets thinned and it is known as miniaturization. The hair follicles have increased numerous androgen receptors, with increased five alpha reductase enzyme leading to increased androgen sensitivity.Androgen hormone levels usually are normal. Treatment of androgenic alopecia is slow and needs lot of patience. Minoxidil is the first FDA approved external application popular all over the world. The treatment should be continued at least for six months before you can assess efficacy.
Systemic finastride (five alpha reductase inhibitor) is the most effective therapy available but this needs a specialist to prescribe the same. Hair transplants should be done by experienced surgeons and it is done in whom the degree and progression of baldness can be assessed.

Best Wishes.

|