Question: Skin tags at private areas of body?

musiclover15 - Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:46 am

I have a skin tag near my vagina on one of the folds. (I've been doing some research on other possibilities that it could be something else like anal warts, hemoroids,etc. but the descriptions on them do not match what i have. I'm sure it's a skin tag.. its not herpes or anything like that because i have never had sex.
i know i should visit my doctor to take a look at it, but is there a way to remove it @ home? like is it safe if i use one of those regular skin tag removers on it?
also, if i were to visit my doctor.. and he says he can remove it, what exactly would that process most likely be?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:23 am

Conditions such as you describe, are mainly diagnosed based on their morphology.
In the absence of that, one can only offer some guesses, some of which are...

- Acrochordon: these are fibroepithelial polyps. They appear as skin tags and are commonly seen to occur in areas subjected to chronic irritation.They can occur on the labia majora.

- Seborrheic keratosis: appear as single or multiple warty, rounded, yellowish-brown, papules. Can involve vulval area in general.They are said to have a "stuck-on" appearance.

- papilloma: a benign tumor of the skin.May be sessile or pedunculated.

- fibroepithelial stromal polyps: in the vulvovaginal region are mostly benign lesions. Sometimes misdiagnosed as sarcomas based on histology. Have a tendency to recur locally.

- Aggressive angiomyxoma: is a rare, locally invasive mesenchymal tumor. Rarely presents as a vulval polyp.Although rare, this tumor needs to be considered in the differential diagnosis of vulval polyps.

- rare endometrial polyps:

I hope this information is of use to you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:34 am

User avatar Hello,Let me add one more condition which is rare and a variant of vulval anatomy and mistaken for HPV,Skin tags,etc.'Vestibular papillomatosis' is not related to virus HPV.It is a benign condition with no sinister associations.
Knowing about this condition is of utmost importance since it would avoid unnecessary interventions for skin tag or other conditions specifically HPV.
Bestwishes.

|