Question: Boil on buttocks

loulou22 - Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm

I had what I thought was an underground pimple on my butt and it has now turned a purplish color. It has not come to a head and it is painful. I have never had a boil but am wondering if this is what I have now? It feels a bit squishy if you press on it hard enough but there is no white head like I would assume it would have. Its been there for over a month. I am going to try hot compresses and baking soda but I was wondering if its normal for it to be purple-grey colored and how I can get it to drain? Thank you for your help.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:05 am

"Boils' or 'pimples' in the buttocks are rather difficult for a person to visualize adequately. Your description may fit either
- an infection(folliculitis, furuncle) or
- an infected sebaceous cyst.

For more on some of these possible infective pathologies, kindly refer to the following link.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=46090&hilit=+boil

From the available history, it seems more likely that it may be either
- a sebeceous cyst: sebeceous cysts (epidermoid cysts) which arise from sebaceous glands or
- a trichelemmal cyst: trichelemmal cysts(pilar cysts) arise from outer root sheaths of hairs.

Both are similar in many ways. Both may get infected and discharge pus. They may be single, multiple or recurrent. Surgery is the preferred treatment for both. Surgical removal should be complete, or else, recurrences will ensue.

The distinguishing feature of a sebaceous cyst is the presence of a spot roughly at its summit ("punctum"). This feature is not seen in trichelemmal cysts.

As the exact location is difficult to guess from your description, one othe possibility needs a mention - pilonidal cysts(pilonidal disease). These are usually located at the natal cleft either in the mid line or to one or the other side of it.These may get infected and form abscesses.

I would advise you not to try and drain it on your own but to show it to your regular doctor. It is a minor procedure and will help to resolve your symptoms soon and help in rapid healing.

|