Question: Opening Accutane Capsules? Severe difficulty swallowing

acne85 - Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:35 am

Dear Doctor,
I am taking 30mg of Accutane per day, but I have a very hard time swallowing the capsules. I have some anxiety issues that make swallowing difficult (not just pills but also food/liquids - another issue) and so this is a serious problem for me with pills. I have been doing fairly well but lately my "disorder" has been acting up and I am having a very hard time with the pills. I know there is liquid inside, and that you are not supposed to break the capsules in order to avoid irritating the esophagus, etc. However, how dangerous is this irritation, and if I take the liquid inside with food is it really still not a good idea? What are the risks? Is it only an issue of irritation, or will the medicine not be absorbed as well outside of the capsule?
Thank you for your input. Again, I understand this is not what should be done, but I really need the accutane, and my swallowing issue is a very big deal.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:37 am

User avatar Hello,You mention that your disorder of anxiety state has been acting up.Also it is surprising that you are finding difficulty in swallowing soft gelatin capsules.
Has these symptoms become worse after accutane?Recent studies show a strong correlation between this drug and psychopathology.Annals of General Psychiatry 2009, 8:2 doi:10.1186/1744-859X-8-2.
Do consult your physician.Due to the irritant nature you can not break open and take the capsule.

|