News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Opening Accutane Capsules? Severe difficulty swallowing

acne85 - Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:35 am

Dear Doctor,
I am taking 30mg of Accutane per day, but I have a very hard time swallowing the capsules. I have some anxiety issues that make swallowing difficult (not just pills but also food/liquids - another issue) and so this is a serious problem for me with pills. I have been doing fairly well but lately my "disorder" has been acting up and I am having a very hard time with the pills. I know there is liquid inside, and that you are not supposed to break the capsules in order to avoid irritating the esophagus, etc. However, how dangerous is this irritation, and if I take the liquid inside with food is it really still not a good idea? What are the risks? Is it only an issue of irritation, or will the medicine not be absorbed as well outside of the capsule?
Thank you for your input. Again, I understand this is not what should be done, but I really need the accutane, and my swallowing issue is a very big deal.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:37 am

User avatar Hello,You mention that your disorder of anxiety state has been acting up.Also it is surprising that you are finding difficulty in swallowing soft gelatin capsules.
Has these symptoms become worse after accutane?Recent studies show a strong correlation between this drug and psychopathology.Annals of General Psychiatry 2009, 8:2 doi:10.1186/1744-859X-8-2.
Do consult your physician.Due to the irritant nature you can not break open and take the capsule.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here