News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Recurring boils, no answers found

kb142814 - Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:15 am

For the last few years, I have had recurring boils that no one has been able to find the answer to. They usually always occur either on the top of my breasts, or on my hips. Some had gotten infected to the point of needing to be lanced and drained. I have been tested for MRSA many times, as well as various skin conditions, to no avail. Some are painful, and some I don't feel at all. I recently had one that I didn't even noticed until it had drained and then opened into a large hole. It was treated with antibiotics, just as most of them are.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:11 am

User avatar Hello,With a picture like folliculitis and yet growing no organisms and no clinical diagnosis in sight one has to think of Hidradenitis Suppurativa wich is otherwise known as Acne Inversa.This occurs when the apocrine sweat glands,sebaceous glands get blocked leading to inflammation.Common sites include axilla,breasts and groin.
This occurs more commonly in women after puberty and before 40.These can lead to painful abscesses which when drain can leave behind a sinus tract.These can get secondarily infected.
Antibiotics,oral retinoids,surgical drainage,reduction of obesity,control of stress are the modalities of treatment.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here