News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: 10 year old with Vitiligo

bunbun000001 - Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:19 am

My 10 year old son was at the Dermatologists office a few weeks ago for removal of a wart and while we were there I showed the Doctor that I have been noticing small white spots on his neck and arms. I also pointed out how his eyelashes have turned white (my son is very fair with red hair.) She said he has a little bit of Vitiligo and to watch and see if anymore appear because right now there isn't much they do for it unless it gets worse. Well now that a few weeks have passed (and maybe because it's the summer and he is in the sun more) I have been noticing a lot more white spots on his arms, neck, legs and outer corners of his eyes. I'm really getting concerned about him because I have just been diagnosed with Systemic Lupus and his father has Diabetes 1 and Rheumatoid Arthrits. My son is an identical twin and his brother is fine. I would like to know more about this in children because if I can slow it down or stop it I really want to know how.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:12 am

User avatar Hello,Vitiligo is a condition affecting the pigment producing melanocytes.This has a polygenetic inheritance and is multifactorial.This means that single genes do not determine and other factors from enviroment may contribute.Identical twin studies show a higher incidence to develop, if one has got it.Also certain histocompatiblty genes are shared with diabetes have been described.
The common type is generalized vitiligo.Localised segmental types do occur.Diagnosis is generally clinical.The cause is said to be possibly autoimmune ,leading to destruction of melanocytes.Thirty percent would show spontaneous pigmentation.Rapid progression stops and stability returns in many.
Pernicious anaemia,tapeworm infestations need to be ruled out and treated for since fish tapeworm can cause this combination.
Your dermatologist has rightly decided to wait and watch.A CBC and a stool examination are recommended.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here