News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Am I overusing benzocaine?

itskerem - Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:15 pm

Hello doctors, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

After four nights of awful toothaches, I sucked up my pride, and decided to drag myself to a dentist. Turns out I need two, possibly three root canals, not to mention a myriad of other problems that will need eventual treatment. They told me the root canals alone will cost me something in the neighborhood of $6,000. I do not have $6,000. Fortunately, a family friend will be able to treat me for cheap in ten days.

In the meantime, I have been managing my pain by combining amoxicillin (prescribed by the dentist, 500 mg four times a day) ibuprofen (as needed), and heavy use of benzocaine.

I've been lightly coating my gums and teeth with the 'caine every few hours, as the pain begins to return. It just occurred to me to look into potential risks of the stuff, and I discovered some medical literature linking benzocaine to methemoglobinemia. So how much is too much? Am I putting myself at risk here? If so, what else can I do to subside the unbearable pain? Are there any symptoms I should be on the lookout for? If I feel fine, am I in the clear?

I am heavily dependent on this stuff right now, any advice would be much appreciated!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:55 pm

User avatar Hello,
Because little, if any, of the benzocaine used topically is absorbed into the blood you are not in danger of causing overdose problems in using this product until you are able to get the permanent root canal work done, even with frequent use.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here