News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Bug Bites

bo2283 - Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 pm

About 4 weeks ago, I was out in my flower garden pulling weeds, when I was done I noticed a couple bug bites on my back. They itched like crazy and I figured I just got something in the rose bushes. Ever since then, I've been getting bug bites like crazy. currently I have 17, on one arm. they are driving me crazy. I get them when I sleep, when I'm awake, when I'm not even home. they just pop up. Are they really bug bites or something else? I've tried using anit-itch creams, sprays etc to ease the discomfort, nothing works. i need help. Do i have a serious skin condition that i need to get looked at? Please help!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:32 am

User avatar Hello,What you are possibly experiencing are hives,also known as urticaria.Generally it is a reaction to what you have touched,bitten by,or medications and foods taken.Many a times to identify the allergen is very difficult.Some times a log book of what you have taken on a daily basis would be of great help.
The mainstay of treatment is antihistaminics given as a tablet.Cetrizine is one such given at bedtime.Antihistamines cause sedation and one should be warned not to drive,or work with machinery after taking the tablets.Alcohol can potentiate the sedation of antihistamines.Calamine applied externally could be soothing.
Your family physician would be able to help you out of this bad itch.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here