Question: Pyrogenic Granuloma on Finger

Sorefinger - Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:19 pm

I have been diagnosed by a retired Dermatologist that the large red bleeding bump on my finger is a pyrogenic granuloma. I have had it since late April and I had it removed once by an emergency room Dr. It came back with a vengance. I asked my family Dr. to refer me to a dermatologist to take care of the problem. Now I have been waiting months to see a Dr and my appointment isn't until late September. The granuloma is a nuisance to say the least since I have a new baby and have to change a lot of diapers and wash a lot of bottles. My problem is now after all these months it is starting to hurt. It feels like the bone is bruised and extends the whole length of my finger. Why is it hurting and should I be waiting another month and a half to see a Dr?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:02 pm

Two conditions that may resemble a pyogenic granuloma are
- an amelanotic subungual melanoma and
- vascular tumors (hemangiomas, glomus tumors).

Subungual melanomas are a very rare sub-type of melanomas, accounting for 2-3 percent of all cutaneous melanomas in the Caucasian population. Approximately 90% of occur on the thumb or the big toe. One variant is the amelanotic (achromic) melanoma. Delays in the diagnosis are common in this variant because they are often mistaken for the much more common pyogenic granulomas due to the lack of pigment. Thus frequently, they present at an advanced stage. The role of trauma in the pathogenesis of subungual melanoma has been suggested but remains unproven.

Hemangiomas are one of the most common soft-tissue tumors. They are estimated to comprise 7% of all benign tumors.They can occur in any part of the body.They are classified as superficial and deep hemangiomas(earlier, they were classified as capillary and cavernous types).They may bleed as a result of trauma or following ulceration.

Glomus tumor is a benign tumor (hamartoma) developing from the arterial end of the glomus body (neuromyoarterial glomus bodies that are involved in regulation of cutaneous blood flow). They present as small, very painful (with characteristic cold sensitivity) lesions in the nail bed often exhibiting pinpoint tenderness.

Pyogenic granulomas are characterized by their bright red color, and tendency to bleed at the slightest touch.

You must consult a surgeon without further delay and get investigated.

|