Question: Mole on temple suddenly grew & may be necrotic

IndyPhotog - Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:31 pm

I have a mole on my right temple that has been small and flat for as long as I can remember. I nicked it while shaving about three weeks and almost immediately afterward it started growing exponentially to about an inch in diameter, and extending about 1/2 inch from the skin. One reaching this size, the growth stopped. The surface is crusty and, when pressed, will split, and emit a mixture of blood and puss. There is also an acrid odor that would tend to suggest the tissue is necrotic. I would like to think that I might apply something topical, such as hydrogen peroxide, that might cause the tissue to dry up and fall off rather like an umbilical cord. There is no indication of infected tissue below the skin. Is this something that can be treated topically, or is some form of surgery likely to be required?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:50 am

User avatar Hello,It is likely that what you are mentioning is a seborrheic keratosis, becoming infected.The temple area and the scalp are areas where you would find multiple keratosis.These occur more in the sun exposed areas.As we age more these tend to appear.Cause is not known.These are benign.The lesion is flat,or verrucous and brownish in color.If irritated it can get inflamed, and become difficult to diagnose.
While one can give a diagnosis with a fair amount of certanity, yet it would be prudent to get examined to make sure that it is not serious, like a melanoma.A dermoscopy would be ideal in arriving at a diagnosis.
Antibiotics may be necessary to control infection and later a curettage, if diagnosed as seborrheic keratosis.

|