Question: Wondering about this long piece of skin between my buttocks?

kshnoj31 - Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:06 am

There has been this piece of extra skin between my butt for as long as I can remember (I only first noticed it in my teens) It doesn't hurt unless while I'm bathing, I rub around it too hard. It starts at the top of the fold and down to near the anus. If I remember correctly, I don't think it wasn't that long of length as in my teens. However, it doesn't appear to growing now. What could it possibly be? Its only bothers me because it seems odd in that place...
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:07 am

It is most likely to be an acrochordon (fibroepithelial polyp, skin tag). This usually starts as a tiny skin tag and in areas where there is friction(such as skin folds-the intertriginous areas), they start to elongate over the course of months or even years.

Starting as sessile lesions, the gradually assume a pedunculated appearance.In some instances, their summit may even become large (mushroom-like). Due to friction, the overlying skin may ulcerate, leading to infection, or bleeding.

However, you must consult your doctor who will be able to examine the lesion and come to a definitive diagnosis. There is generally no need for any specific treatment unless,
- it is causing pain or discomfort,
- has ulcerated or has bled, or
- for cosmetic reasons.
Treatment is simple excision.

|