Question: vasculaitis allergies on a 10 year old

kaz4 - Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:40 am

My 10 year old daughter has had a rash on her ankles which went up to her thighs. The higher it was the more sparse it was. After the 2nd day I took her to the GP and he said he thinks it is a vasculitis allergy. She has taken no medicines at all(except a few months earlier which she has had before, but I will get to that in a minute). They just appeared. She was wering no shoes/socks and was at home doing the same old thing and eating the same old foods as normal. They dissapeared after approx 4 days. She took Phurnergan (spelling?) which helped with the swelling and itchiness. Whilst seeing this GP (lots of different GPs at one medical centre) I told him that my daughter had a blood test done a few weeks earlier (from different GP) as I had asked for one as she has been sick on and off with fevers etc and just generally not well and moody which isnt normal for her. He said the results came back fine. After I left I had a look at the internet to see what was vasculitis allergies. The penny had dropped when I saw a few images. Around April she got school sores about 6 times that only was on her lower legs and antibiotics did not clear them up but they did clear up on there own. No one in our home got them and no one else in her school (large school) had them or caught them off her either. I was not convinced they were school sores but 3 different GPs said they were. When I looked up vasculitis allergies images it come to my attention that I don't think she had school sores after all, they looked more like a vasculitis allergy. They were always really red (like a strawberry birthmark colour), never risen and no pussy bit in the centre. They varied in size from a pin prick size to a large thumb nail but majority were a thumb nail size and were only on her lower legs. I also realised that is when she had started to feel sick on and off. I am pretty sure they were infact a vasculitis allergy. I thought it might of been glandular fever, and that is why I had asked for the blood test to start off with. Does this sound like I should get her checked out again? Her skin is fine at the moment and health wise she is OK, but does just have a common cold at the moment. Is it the kind of thing I should just wait until she has a outbreak again or take her now or just ride it out? Sorry for the long letter
Regards
Karen
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:03 am

User avatar Hello,The commonest vasculitis in this age group is Henoch-Schonlein purpura also known as anaphylactoid purpura.These are blotches more found on the legs.These can be felt, and thus known as palpable purpura/vasculitis.Usually preceded by a viral infection,the cause remains as yet unknown.The pathogenesis is deposition of immune complexes.
The pesentation generally is a rash accompanied by joint pains which could be mild or severe.Abdominal pain and microscopic blood in urine is seen on testing.Usually resolves with out therapy.Recurrences are not common.
Your child may need investigations like CBC,urine analysis which could be done as a routine.Otherwise there may be nothing more of concern.
Do show the child to your doctor and it is no harm in getting these couple of tests just to be sure it is nothing more.

|