News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Scar Treatment

speakerbox - Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Hello,

In May of 2009 I decided to try and remove a mole on my chest that I had been trying to remove using natural remedies. I purchased some ointment on the internet name Bio-T which claimed that it would only affect the mole and not the skin surrounding it. I went ahead and purchased the cream and really didn't think of the potential consequence.

After a few weeks the mole turned into a large scab and fell off how-ever now I've been left with a hideous scar that is probably four or five times larger then the original mole. Since it healed I have been applying creams to it daily. I started with some Scarzone cream then moved to Maderma. I also used a 12 week supply of silicone scar patches which did improve it some.

I'm wondering what else I can do. I've gone to see a plastic surgeon to have a scar revision done but the surgeon said that the revision would look worse that it does now. I want to get another opinion because I don't trust the surgeon; I think he didn't want to do it and wanted to get the easy 100 dollar consultation fee.

Anyway, the scar is located on my chest and it's about the size of a quarter. It's roughly one year old now. I was thinking of maybe doing some type of chemical peel to help it's appearance but i don't want to make things worse.

Images of the scar can be viewed below.
Image 1: http://i36.tinypic.com/14ue0aw.jpg
Image 2: http://i35.tinypic.com/mkb047.jpg
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:47 am

User avatar Hello,Keloids and hypertrophic scars are somewhat synonymous except in that the keloid generally extends beyond the injury area.This generally happens only in predisposed in response to skin injury.This is more common in the blacks.Ears,front chest,shoulders are common areas of involvement.
Cryotherapy,excision followed by radiotherapy,silicone gels,lasers,intra leisional steroid injections,external application of potent steroids have all been used as treatment with varying results.Minimization of skin tension after suturing,and infection control are the preventive methods is susceptible individuals.Interferon therapy,imiquimod,tacrolimus application are the newer therapies.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here