Question: Zinc+Immune defficiency + MRSA + zoster What to do?

tharkimaa - Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:51 am

my problem is not very unique, i must say but it is very annoying and YES in the end, for u as a doctor, provides a nice little medical mystery i suppose...
I am 17 years old, from india, living a normal natural life....
But there is a problem..
U see, every monsoon/winter onset, i got some nasty recurring eczema rashes on my nose and ear..... polaramine and clobetasol propionate usually cured it in a week or so.....
last january, i got this REALLY nasty folliculitis under my thigh, which had to be surgically drained.... i was prescribed usual anti-biotics, like augmentin, some zinc and vitamin supplements and all,
but the problem didnt stop...the smaller pustules kept recurring and as a bit of an improviser i did my own draining and dressing...+ the antibiotics of course... the whole thing got over in 3-4 days usually....
My explanation for the above was MRSA, but the doctors said it was zinc deficiency which suppressed my immune system....
Now, i had 2 outbreaks at once and just tonight , i noticed zoster like rashes on my right chest.... in a few hours, some muscle<?> pain had started and now i am writing to u....
All in all, what does this look like to you?
i mean it has to be some immunosuppressant factor right?
Strange thing- NO fever before the rash appeared, no warning at all... it just appeared... i think i might have some fever now, but it could be placebo....AND i am getting some Nasty vertigo fits since the operation...
And if u will, while reviewing my history, pls give me a differential for my present condition?
Anyway, I am happy that u even read this message....Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
TharkiMaa
<didnt have any other alias>
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:02 am

User avatar Hello,Herpes zoster can appear in normal persons and not necessarily immunodeficient.The difference here is that in normal people single nerve root is involved but in immunodeficiency multiple dermatomes may be involved.Also when it heals in immune deficiencies a post inflammatory whitish pigment is left behind.But it would be good here to get tested if there is any exposure to STD especially if you have not taken precautions.
Folliculitis is quite common after shaving the hairs.Most cases need only external antibiotic cremes or soaps.If recurrent culture and sensitivity tests may be necessary.Also if you are a carrier antibiotic may have to be applied to the nasal area.
My feeling is that you may not need anything more than to get a reapprisal from your dermatologist.

|