Question: PLEASE READ

KRONUS - Tue May 10, 2005 3:07 pm

What is similar to body lice but only effects one person?
Every night for the last year when I go to bed I would lay in the bed for about 20 min and start to feel tiny bugs(similar to the feeling of fleas or ants crawling on someone) and they bite very painfully. They start at my feet or around my head. As they work up from my feet they attempt to get to my groin area. As they start from my head they attempt to enter my nose and ears. I feel them using my body hair to walk on. I've tried spraying everything down with Lice spray, I've thrown my bed out (and linens/pillows), I've given up after spending $400.00 plus in lice killer ie. spray, mousse. Now, I wear long socks over jogging pants and lay on top of bedding to tolerate being attacked enough to get some sleep. This is driving me nuts and frustrates me, especially when I need my sleep the most.
I know this may be one those "no see 'ems" situations but I need a sincere response.
The odd part of it all is that my wife shares the same bed and experiences nothing. Nothing at all, but, I get woken out of sound sleep with some the bites, IT HURTS! Let alone the feeling of something running up your nose.
I am a month away from obtaining health insurance, that's the reason for not going to the doctors yet.
Sincere responses only please, thank you.

P.S. it isn't ants or fleas I got up immediately numerous times to pull back the blankets WITH a flashlight to find nothing. These are too small to see. There is no scarring or the "stitch" pattern associated with scabbies and no bite marks. The bite is simialr to that of flea mixed with a mousquito.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 11, 2005 7:13 am

User avatar Hi KRONUS,
Bedbugs usually cause painless bites, which then become itchy. Since bedbugs usually only come out to feed at night, and they feed infrequently (often just weekly), they can be hard to detect. They are visible to the naked eye and usually hide in crevices such as the seam in a mattress. Do you have this particular problem when you sleep in another area of your house, for example on the couch?
 KRONUS - Wed May 11, 2005 9:12 am

The short answer about bed bugs is no. I've studied bed bugs during the times I could not sleep and could afford the lost sleep.
The closest thing I found to my problem was mites or lice/scabbies...horrifying, but, possible considering the occupation I had a year ago, servicing residential septic tanks and broken sewer pipes and such. What throws these possibilities off is that they spread to other people and the problem I have doesn't. This is a very real situation. I've intentionally laid down in my bed (OR sat in a chair in my bedroom) and try to ignore the bug sensations to see if it was possibly leg hair or mens body hair rubbing inside the bed sheets or what not....until I experienced definite bug bites.
It bothered me so bad one night I put cotton balls/tissues in my ears and nose just to keep these bugs out of there (these bugs can move quickly), but, didn't eliminate the ones originating from my feet. I figured when this first started (a year ago) , O.K. well its probrably something I might have brought home from work or something from our animals ie. cats, 1 dog, birds and I could just check online for a remedy, nothing so far :cry:
When I sprayed the lice spray (with the intention of irradicating this nuisance once and for all) I sprayed every square inch of my bed, pillows, floor....washed my clothes in pure hot water w/ hot dryer w/ a detergent recommended online from other people who have encountered body lice and stuff, Borax detergent.
I only experience this situation in my bedroom at night or when the room is dimly lit(which fits the bed bug symptoms). Additionally, I've also learned that bed bugs usually retreat to just under the edges of your mattress and may leave foul smelling small bloodstains.
The situation I'm experiencing only has the nightime dimly-lit similarities, nothing else. Which this combined with it only affecting me is what makes this whole thing perplexing.
Hmmm.....it's gotten to the point where if I ever get a peacefull nights sleep again I'll NEVER EVER take it for granted.

-I'm not one those people that will deny a professional's hunches or experiences, I mean, that's what you do and I appreciate the help very much 8) . Ruling out bed bugs is not my intention (even though it sounds that way). I've just tried so many things and have spent countless hours investigating this. I'm just simply to the point now where if I can identify the culprit...heh...what ever it takes its done :!:

...and if I find a remedy I want to go back to other sites I've encountered (while googling for an answer) and pass on help that I receive, so by helping me you will definitely help countless others.
 KRONUS - Wed May 11, 2005 4:07 pm

ooohhhh...I see what your saying, maybe. You mean when bed bugs bite you don't feel it. After their done is when ya feel the pain and/or crawling sensation.
How do ya kill'em? (I'll try to kill for bed bugs and then see what happens)
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu May 12, 2005 6:18 am

User avatar Hi KRONUS,
Yes, that is what I was trying to say. If bedbugs are actually the problem, an insecticide is used for elimination, along with laundering sheets, draperies, etc. A visit to a dermatologist would be able to evaluate and indentify the cause of the bites.
 KRONUS - Thu May 12, 2005 2:54 pm

Thank You :)
I will do exactly what you say.

- I have a small philosophy.... If it takes all your strength to do something and it doesn't work....your probrably doing it wrong, lol.
 lfc31750 - Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:59 am

:cry: I have bed bug symtons, does anyone know the cure. Itchy bumps, i scratchm make a deep sore, long time to heal.

Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:39 am

User avatar Hi lfc31750,
Check in the mattress seams to see if bedbugs are present. If so, then an insecticide can be used to get rid of them along with laundering bedding etc. You should also have an evaluation by your physician to assure this is the cause and not from another source, for example, fleas or scabies.

|