Question: Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac

pudgey - Mon May 30, 2005 1:54 pm

I don't know which one I have but it is getting worse. It is spreading all over my legs. I was in a car wreck and when I got out, I must have stepped into an infected pile of brush. My husband has it on his arm but not as bad. Anyway, I had a mosquito bite that got the poisonous sap inside of it and now the bite looks infected. Any home remedy suggestions you can give. It oozes really bad. Especially after I take a shower.
The wreck happened last Wednesday.

Thanks,
Pudgey
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:47 am

User avatar Hi pudgey,
I would suggest that you call your physician. They can administer a steroid injection or prescribe a medrol dose pack that will quickly resolve the problem. (that would be my first choice). The area that appears infected, you may want to wash it well with an antibacterial soap, pat dry and apply an antibacterial ointment. Keep in mind though that if you are evaluated by your physician he/she may want to prescribe an antibiotic to prevent the infection from worsening. (by the way I hope the both of you are well otherwise and suffered no injuries from the accident)

|