Question: Spider bite

ThatOneGuy - Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:36 am

I have what I believe is a large spider bite, or two bites from a large insect or a bite from a small snake,

I noticed the spot was irritatingly itchy this morning, aprox. 12-13 hours ago, within that time it has developed into two very apparant puncture marks and a large swollen area with a red center, the red area is aproximately 3 inches in diameter and goes from blood red in the center to pinkish-red near the outside, the skin is hard, and it is uncomfortable (to say the least) to the touch, the swollen area is aproximately 6 inches in diameter from the center of the bite mark, and I can feel a continuous tingeling in the area where it is, as well as small muscle spasms in the calf in the general area of the bite.

My question is:
should I go to the hospital or is this not as servere as to require a trip to the hospital?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:19 am

User avatar Whatever it is, get to the ER. 6 inches???? :shock: There is possibly venom in your system causing nerve problems and possible damage.
 ThatOneGuy - Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:36 am

I went to bed last night and it dosn't appear to have degenerated any more since last night, it's not rotting, its not tingeling any longer. It looks just about the same, aside from the area that is swollen increasing in size a bit.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:40 am

User avatar Increasing size this amount of time later is also cause for concern. At least call your family doc and try to be seen today. I'm glad your other symptoms have resolved.
 baltothewolf - Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:35 pm

Do all poisonous snake bites swell up?
 baltothewolf - Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:41 pm

Is there a test a doc can do to test for venom in my system to be able to tell what venom if any is in my body.

|