Question: tattoos

poetry1029 - Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:48 am

if i get a tattoo on my wrist, could ink get into my bloodstream and cause problems such as death?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:18 am

User avatar Poetry,
Hazards from a tattoo comes from the type of ink used, the sterilization techniques involved and ofcourse the professionality of the tattoo artist.
To answer your question, yes some cheap forms of ink can become absorbed into the blood stream and become toxic. If the sterilization techniques involved are not optimal then an infection can be introduced at the site of puncture. Worse, if the tattoo artist does not understand the anatomy of a complex area like the wrist he could injure an artery, nerve or a ligament in an already crowded and mostly unprotected area of the body. I strongly advise against the procedure altogether. Ofcourse, you should be warned it will be very painful.

In oriental and middle eastern countries they use a safer more natural substance for body decoration known as Henna.

realonekbh - Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:25 pm

First, you did not mention the hazard that arises when clients do not take care of their tattoos properly.
Please tell me what defines cheap ink.
The same practices used in most dental clinics and hospitals to sterilize instruments are also used in all professional tattoo shops, so your remarks about the forementioned risk of unproper sterilization is unwarranted.
There has never been a case where a professional tattooer has damaged a artery, nerve, or ligament. As a matter of fact, your statements are clearly ignorant. The process used to deposit the ink under the skin does not allow the needles to penetrate deep enough to due such harm; the needles only enter the top layers of the epidermis. Before you start giving advice about the hazard of tattooing, do your research. It is people like you that constantly spread misinformation about tattooing. The result of your actions is very unprofessional.

|