Question: dandruff vs psoriasis

swanlake - Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:43 am

Dr,i have had dandruff(full scalp) for more than 5yrs now which spread to the eyebrows,top of the eyelids,eyelashes,on the scalp bordering the hair line,moustache and chest.All this used anti dandruff shampoos and a topical application(propynate) on suggestion of a specialist doctor.Recently went to see a trichologist,he said it was not dandruff but psoriasis.Also started noticed a patch below my chin a bald patch previously hair used to grow there
I would like a second opinion on this.
Does these symptoms amount to psoriasis.Please can yo help me on this
 Dr. L. Chu Go - Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:20 am

Hello Swanlake,
It must be very frustrating for you to still have that condition for years despite treatments/topicals being applied to the now various sites of your anatomy. Allow me to ask you a few questions please. 1. Are rashes present aside from the usual flakes that you see over the affected areas that you mentioned? 2. If so, are these rashes pruritic or itchy, does it severely itch whenever you perspire/sweat or not? 3. Do other members of your family have this condition as well? 4. Do you also note appearance of these dandruff/flakes on new sites aside from your scalp, chin, &eyebrows (i.e elbows, wrists/hands, knees, groin area, etc?) 5. In how many days/weeks did these lesion scatter to the other areas of your body? 6. Did you have any other symptoms like fever, body weakness, etc? 7. do you have any/previous allergies to food/medications/soaps/shampoos/lotions? 8. How long have yu been using your soap/shampoo? 9. did you notice any adverse reaction occur when you used the current soap/shampoo?

If your condition is a fungal one, proper/personal hygiene and an anit-fungal will be sufficient enough to eradicate that condition of yours. However, if we are to consider Psoriasis is another matter and a completely different condition entirely. The approach to this kind of condition is very different as compared to treating dandruff because Psoriasis is an auto-immune disease and this would entail long term treatment approach.

Based on what initial data you've posted, I am considering psoriasis first than dandruff. However, it will be of more help if you can describe the evolution or characteristics of your condition by answering the few questions I've posted in this reply. Thank you.

M.D.
 swanlake - Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:11 am

Thanks for the reply.Regarding the points you have asked
1.Rashes -as in white marks are present on the side burns and usually above the eye lashes.I assumed that since i do a lot of scratching to remove the flakes adhering to the skin that was the cause
2. It does itch when i walk in the sun.
3.No one in the family has this condition
4.It also appears on my chest ,eyelids,eyebrows,above my eye lashes ,side burns
5.This condition has been with me for more than 5 years now,not sure when the spreading took place.
6.I am allergic to crustaceans(shrimps etc),had an attack of eczema when i was an infant.All my schooling was in kuwait and whenever i used to visit India during vacations I used to be allergic to the soil and get big pus filled boiled on my feet.But when I moved permananently to India that condition went off.

Thanks for all your help.Hope you could provide more light ont his

|