Question: shingles

stressedout - Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:18 am

I had chickenpox later in life when I was adout 12. I had it so severe that my doctor tried to hospitallize me. There was no place on my body where I wasn't infected. No place if you catch my drift. My doctor told me that I might have problems with this virus later cause my immune system just didn't react well to the virus and I would need to take care of myself since I had it at such a later age. So, six months ago I broke out with shingles on my lower torso around bellie button and it disseminated about a few inches lower that the bellie button but never crossed the midline on right side. It hurt so bad I couldn't stand it and it left a few scars. I toughed it out. Well now I am going through a move away from my family to start medical school, i've been under a lot of stress from work, the move, and family issues that has been going on for the last month. I haven't been eating right, takng care of myself, or for that matter slept a good nights sleep in awhile. It looks like I am having them again. They hurt just as bad as the first outbreak. The outbreak is bad but not as bad as the first. I read in the literature that it is rare to have another out break but considering my situation is it possible?
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:24 pm

User avatar I have had patients that have developed shingles more than once. This is not a new infection, but a reactivation of the virus that caused the Chicken Pox. It can lie dormant in the body for many years.

There are medications that can help with this, check with your doctor to see what he might recommend.

It is rare that a young person develops shingles, most cases are in the elderly, but as you know, it can happen.

|