News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: sore tongue

tim16 - Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:31 am

i have had a sore tongue on the rear left side for about 3 weeks now. i also have a few, what look like, ulcers under my tongue. i used to dip tobacco, but i stopped about 5 or 6 months ago because of the dread of mouth cancer. i only did it for 3 years, but i know that can seem like an eternity when you're doing something dumb like that. i recently had tonsilitis and still have a lot of drainage from a sinus infection, so it's leaving little bumps on the inside of my mouth, and it's leaving my throat all red and irritated. also, the lymph node right under my jaw line on the left side near my adams apple is still a little swollen and my adams apple feels like it is sore. my wife says this is nothing to worry about, but i have her and a 6 month old to take care of, and i don't want this to turn out to be anything bad. i'm scared to death to go to the doctor because of what i may find out. can someone please help me out and give me some direction or guidance as to what i should do next? thank you. if someone could please reply to my message and help me out, i would appreciate it.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:49 pm

User avatar Dear Tim,
Its good to hear that you have decided to stop that very bad habbit. Tongue ulcers are not uncommon. They can happen due to a variety of causes. The commonest is an aphthous or dyspeptic ulcer (also known as canker sores) which is are usually accompanied by GIT troubles, antibiotic intake or follows the flu. They can be triggered by emotional stress, dietary deficiencies. These are usually very small ulcers situated at the tip and sides of the tounge more often but can actually affect any part of the buccal cavity. They usually occur in groups and are thin and have a rather punched out appearance. They are usually very painful.

Ofcourse your main concern is that it maybe cancer. I cannot rule anything out over the internet due to the obvious physical limitations. Cancers usually large have raised (everted) edges. There is associated debris, blood and pus. It may be associated with hard fixed or mobile lymph node enlargement in the neck. Its usually a single ulcer and may be accompanied by pain.

Another common cause of oral ulcers is a chronic dental ulcer due to a sharp tooth, malfitting dentures. Their edges are usually sloping and they may discharge blood and pus.

Less common tongue ulcers include tuberculosis and syphilis.

Best regards,
 ruin - Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:08 pm

I have small ulcer like bumps under my tounge and under my tounge it seems more white colored than red i was wondering what might be causing this and if there is a way to get rid of it. also on the left side its a little swollen. the right side the bump isnt there. that is all i had to ask thanks.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here