Question: POISON IVY/POISON OAK

gt1924 - Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:42 pm

MY HUSBAND GETS POISON IVY OR OAK EVERY YEAR. THIS YEAR HE HAS A SMALL PATCH ON HIS HAND. HIS SKIN IS VERY DRY AND CRACKING FROM USING "IVY DRY". CAN HE USE ANYTHING TO HELP WITH THE OVER DRYNESS? ALSO IS HE OVERMEDICATING THE AREA, THE SKIN LOOKS AWFUL AND LEATHERY.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:57 pm

User avatar Hi gt1924,
If the affected areas are not oozing then it would be unnecessary for him to continue using the product and that should help.
 gt1924 - Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:41 pm

His hands are still oozing a yellowish color liquid. He put A&D ointment on his hands and says they feel better. Is the A&D okay to use?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:43 am

User avatar Hi gt1924,
Although A&D ointment works well for excoriated skin he may want to use an antibacterial ointment, (Bacitracin, Neosporin, Triple antibiotic) instead. If he is oozing yellow drainage, he may possibly have the area infected and if it does not appear better in the next day or so I would suggest he have his hands looked at by his physician.
 gt1924 - Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:33 am

Thank you for your help.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:54 am

User avatar Hi gt1924,
You are quite welcome and thank you for using http://www.doctorslounge.com
 cappyjuju - Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:19 pm

I had poison ivy or oak earlier this year and used Ivy Dry. Then I bucked up and went to my dermatologist (I had insurance at the time) She said Ivy Dry is awful and really doesn't help- it just wrecks havoc on your skin. She said other than getting a steroid cream, using that expensive stuff, I forget the name but its like 30 bucks a tube, is good. I used the steriod cream, because why else was I there, and it cleared it up within 2 days.
But if you don't want to go to the doctor and don't want to spend 30 bucks, she said not to underestimate good old fashioned benadryl taken orally and calamine lotion on the affected area.
 gt1924 - Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:04 pm

Thank you for your help. :D

|