Question: Skin infection/armpit lymph node swelling/high fever

gerberdaisy - Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:22 pm

My fiance seems to have an ongoing problem. He'll get what looks like - a type of exema rash on his skin (usually on his butt but most recently, on the top of his hand just behind the thumb). This infection can get large, and crusty with pus and the pus will even find it's way out through a crack in the finger. He developed a high fever of 102 and the lymph nodes in his armpit are swollen. Initial diagnosis - pneumonia in both lungs - was put on an antibiotic for ONLY 5 DAYS! (in my opinion, hardly long enough), that was for treating both pneumonia and skin infections. The skin on his hand seems to be clearing up - however, it's been 10 days now and the fever is still at 102 and the lymph nodes are not reducing in size. Went to another doctor - 2nd diagnosis - absolutely NO sign of pneumonia - and the fever and lymph node swelling is due to the skin infection. My questions are this - what kind of skin infection does he have that keeps reoccurring like this? Why is the fever not going away??? Why are the lymph nodes still swollen?? Shouldn't the doctors have taken a blood test and a culture sample of the skin to determine the exact type of skin problems he's having and how to prevent it as they're reoccurring (but not usually this bad)? I'm getting extremely worried about his health and am wondering if there is going to be some long term damage or if this is way more serious than just a skin infection. No further treatment has been recommended for the high fever - just that he's to wait another 2 weeks and take it easy! It's not normal to have a high fever for this long. I'm desperate for a new course of action - can anyone help or advise?
 Dr. N. Haider - Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:56 am

User avatar hi there

your concern about your husband is very justified. the pneumonia would probably have cleared because of the antibiotics. a culture from the hand could have been taken, but cannot be taken now...there should be a gap of 3 weeks off antibiotics to get a true result. is your husband diabetic? did he ever have such an eczema like rash before?

what is he on now? what medication? what are his labs?

did tou take a skin doctor's opinion?
 gerberdaisy - Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:38 am

Apparently the xray showed no signs of pneumonia in the first place. Was told basically that he could have a blood infection due to the skin infection and at this point nothing more can be done for another 2 weeks. Now he's getting night sweats - is very soaked by morning. Fever is still 102F. Was put on Zithromax for 5 days (from Sep 6-10th) from the first doctor who thought he had pneumonia. No, he's not diabetic. Yes! Definitely gets these eczema type of rashes - usually when under tremendous amounts of stress or overtraining (football player) - low immunity system? Usually gets the rashes on his butt. No labs - just an x-ray from 2nd doctor on Sep 14th stating there was no sign of ever having pneumonia. So still no clear answers - remains ill with fevers of 102F, night sweats, painful armpit lymph nodes and skin infection. No longer on meds and no sign of pneumonia (never really did).

|