Question: Mistaken Psoriasis

mellyc - Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:55 am

My uncle needs some help

He has a skin irritation that he thinks might be a fungal infection, but it has been diagnosed as Psoriasis. And he has been treated for Psoriasis but it hasnt helped and it has only made the irritation worse. His hands are all red and they are very itchy and dry. The infection has also spread to his mouth and legs.

The infection started when he was working with wire lubricant (he is an electrician). He said he remembers seeing black mold in the lubricant because it had gone bad.

He has been to see many doctors and taken just about every pill and cream there is for Psoriasis but still no results. And no doctor has taken a skin sample because they are all so sure it is Psoriasis. He is getting very frustrated because this has been going on for about 4 years now. He just wants to find a doctor that will take a skin sample to see if it is a fungal infection.

I was just wondering if there are any doctors or labs he can go to (in toronto) that may be able to help him.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thank you
 lucky - Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:18 pm

This is so unreal! My sister is going through the almost same thing (check my post). She said that she also saw black mold when she was doing inventory for a store. Her diagnosis was eczema and a fungas. She took lamisil for 8 months for fungal, she took sporonox for 5 months for mold and still has the same condition. She has had this for 4 years also and has been through almost every med. known, and has finally had some success with a couple of things...2 of which I will mention, and the other 2 if you would like I will tell you in email.

A doctor prescribed her Prednisone (she is taking a minimum of 50 mg once a day) and is responding to this. Also, he prescribed ultravate topical for her. When you see your doctor, ask him about these 2 meds. They are both steroids. I can't guarantee this will help, because I am not a doctor or nurse, all I can tell you is that my sister has used this with some success within the last 2 weeks.
 Illinois Lisa - Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:47 am

The same thing happened to my husband on his arms then near his ear and on his neck. It hurt him so bad and then went away. After a few months I noticed it happening to me but only on my hands (it was so painful). My husband's Aunt is a doctor and gave me Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream. Within two days, my hands started looking normal again and my husband started getting his back and I put it on him and it worked. She said that this problem may never go away but to use the cream.

I can go a month fine and then it starts coming back so she presribes the cream for me.

|