Question: Mystery rash on stomach, chest, back of neck, behind knees

girl.with.mystery.rash - Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:31 pm

A few days ago, I was changing shirts after getting home from work, and my boyfriend pointed and said "You have a rash". At that time, it was along my bra-line and in my cleavage, and it looked like little red raised splotches, similar to hives. I do have a history of getting hives from stress or food allergies, and it didn't itch much, so I took a clorpheniramine maleate, then 4 hours later took nyquil and went to bed (I did feel like I was getting a cold). The next day I wore a more breathable cotton bra, but it got worse, and spread to my stomach. Now, I had lots of small red bumps between my breasts, on my stomach, and down onto my abdomen, but only on the front side. The next day, I noticed my neck had some bumps along my hairline. Today (the worst day so far, and 4 days later) my cheeks, scalp, and back of neck itch like mad, and it's spreading around to the front of my neck, and looks red and welty. My cleavage still is itchy and red, and my stomach still has the bumps but they don't itch. My boyfriend had been saying hives, but now he says the back of my neck looks like poison ivy (kind of welty and more of a wet rash). I don't think they even have poison ivy in Tucson (we moved here last year from the northeast) My scalp and the back of my neck itch like the dickens, and I can't think of anything that could be causing this... I don't go near plants, I haven't eaten a new food or used a different detergent. All I can think is it might be viral, or maybe some bizarre insect bit me? Benadryl helps, so I am off to take one now, but it's not just going away as I had hoped. Any advice??

Thanks so much!
 girl.with.mystery.rash - Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:34 pm

I forgot to also mention it's on the backs of my knees. And I am 28, female, not pregnant and have never had any skin condition other than occasional hives. (never this bad)
 michsm2 - Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:38 pm

It sounds like pityriasis rosea. Check it out on the Internet to see if it matches what you have. If that is the case, there is some bad news: there is no treatment to hasten it. To deal with the itchiness, get Benadryl, Allegra, oatmeal creams, coristones -- basically anything that will tone down the itchiness so you can lead a normal life.

-- From someone who has had pityriasis for nearly 7 weeks now

|