Question: strange red skin bubble / angioma ????

colorado - Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:23 pm

On the second week of August I scratched a small spot on my chest, just about 3 inches below my shoulder and it started to bleed a little. I never noticed the spot I scrated to be a birthmark, or anything else there for that matter. It started to heal as a tiny red colored bump, small and not a big deal.

Then I started to notice the healing process was really slow. I am not sure when exactly, but about a month ago my husband mentioned that it wasn't healing and looked like it got bigger in size. He was right, and it became a strawberry colored bump. Now it has grown to the size of the eraser on a pencil, but more round in shape. Once about two weeks ago I accidentally popped it with my nail and it bled and bled. It was oozing and seemed hard to clot, until I applied bandage and tape to the area. At first it looked like the bubble was going to shrivel and decrease in size, but as of a few days ago it has returned to the eraser size in its circular bubble form. It doesnt hurt at all, but I am scared as to what it is. It is soft and the bubble feels like a thin tender layer.I don't have health insurance and right now I work as a temp 12 hours a day 5 days a week, and 9 hours a day on Saturday. Really bad timing. I don't have lots of spare time at the moment and I just was wondering if anyone could give me advice on my situation.

I thought maybe it could be an angioma (didnt know what that was until internet research), and I investigated that possibility a bit. The only thing that bothers me is that I didn't have a red spot on my chest, only until after I scratched my skin and it bled and bubbled up and grew quite large in size over a 2 month period. It doesn't seem to be healing and I don't know how quickly I should get it examined. I don't think angiomas appear out of nowhere from a scratch and then grow that big so quick?

I would appreciate any help or suggestions. I don't know where else to ask really until I can see a doctor or pick up health insurance. Thank you!
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:45 pm

Your description of the sudden appearance of a vascular, friable lump on the skin is suggestive of a pyogenic granuloma. This is a rapidly growing benign vascular tumour, at times arising at sites of minor trauma (in your case, a scratch on the chest). The lesion may persist for many months, bleeding frequently and spontaneously.

Physical and histologic examination by a dermatologist is required to distinguish it from sinister causes. Please come back and tell us what the dermatologist diagnosed.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 colorado - Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:47 pm

I appreciate your response so much!!!

I looked at some photos of Pyogenic Granuloma and the desciption and it sounds like this is exactly what I have. Of course I am going to the doctor so that he can take a look and make sure what I have is not cancerous and give the official diagnosis. This wont be for another 2 - 3 weeks unfortunately because my job does not end until that time and health insurance will maybe be activated by then. I am hopoing the removal of it isnt too expensive.

So I will post the diagnosis and solution on here again when that does happen. Probably mid-November the latest.

Again I appreciate a reply.
 colorado - Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:22 pm

I went to the doctor today to get my strange spot checked out. He too said it appeared to be pyogenic granuloma! Also said that it needed to be removed immediately, and performed surgery. Testing on the removed granuloma will take place this week and I will post my results when I find out if it is cancerous or not.

This forum has been an amazing experience. I appreciate doctors who are actively involved with the forum and other people who take the time to look at other people's concerns and offer advice / information. Thank you Dr. Solomon.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:47 pm

Thank you for the kind words in your second paragraph which are very encouraging to all doctors, nurses and medical personnel who volunteer their time on this website.

Anthony Solomon

|