Question: Endocrine exhaustion?- Doc says see a counselor and go home

2pooped2pucker - Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:47 pm

I have exhausted all outlets to shed some light on my symptoms. Over a year ago ( Oct) I presented with bounding heart and hypertension and was placed on Toporol 25 mg daily. Two months later no change so we proceded with the following exams - a EKG, 24 hr urine , KOH, and Echo - nothing remarkable; although the CT showed a small nodule on thyroid. No action was taken at the time. Appox. four months later I developed anxiety and was placed on Lexapro - I had a severe reaction noted as," Serotonin Flushing";Paxil, and Zoloft had same effects ( oddly, three years before I had successfully taken Zoloft and Paxil with no reaction. ) Shortly after, I started to experience hair loss and a signigicant weight loss. TSH blood work came back as normal. In November an additional 24 hr urine was done and there was a slight elevation of T3 and low BUN - Nuc Med and Ultrasound were done with nothing remarkable. I was diagnosed with Anxiety - Panic disorder and placed on Xanax. I have lost twenty pounds in the last two months,ongoing bounding heart, severe panic, hair loss, occasional palpitations and hypertension which rises signifigantly upon rising from a resting of 120/82 to 145/95 - this is mild exertion ( moving from one room to the next) with shortness of breath, B/P of 175/109 with 20 min of areobic exercise. I feel as though someone has shot me full of Adrenaline 24/7, theses symptoms are ongoing. I am 32, within weight peremiters, post menoposal ( TAH) four years ago from a septic infection, non smoker, non drinker and until this last year spent the previous quite healthy. I have tried herbs, relaxation, medications and couselors and these symproms persist. Are my concerns unfounded? Should I seek a second opinion? Or is this classis of Panic Disorder? I am growing hopeless and exhausted with each attempt as my credibility is crumbling with each normal test.
 snuggle_bum - Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:35 pm

have you ever had your cortisol levels checked? your adrenal system maybe playing up?
 2pooped2pucker - Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:50 am

I am not sure.. I have had two different 24 hr urine test's;I will have to look into that. Thank you for your input :) and I hope god speeds your recovery.
 WatchTheWeatherChange22 - Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

I have had the same reaction from doctors...I can't tell you how many times I was told, "You're depressed," or how many times I had to beg for blood tests.

Frankly, it's insulting and embarassing. Not everyone who walks into the office is a complete idiot; I get that a lot out here on the east coast. I'm sure doctors have to put up with many patients who feel that they know better because they read a WebMd article, and I'm sure there are a number of people who walk in clueless. Another stressor, I think, is the number of patients doctors need to see in a day; insurance companies really do a lot of control over what does and does not happen. Regardless of all that, I happen to be a highly qualified professional who is now in the process of graduate study at Columbia University and while that certainly doesn't make me any better than anyone else, it should indicate something about my ability to understand my body and mind.

Yet, when I walked into the office and described my symptoms, I either heard, "I don't want you to become a hypochondriac," or, "You've been doing some research, huh?"

ARGH. Yes. Actually I have and I'm damn glad I did. If I wasn't as pushy as I have been I would not have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's. If the current state of affairs wasn't as it was, then maybe I wouldn't have to, but the truth is that, at one point, your family doctor was both knowledgable and free enough to help you. Insurance companies have made a mess of it now and I can't balme the docs for having that reaction.

Nevertheless, I can't accept it as appropriate either. Because I resolved to make sure that I found doctors whose philosophical approach was that of teamwork and mutual respect, I have found my way into the care of some excellent professionals. Don't give up and don't settle. If you aren't comfortable with your doctor, move on. Discomfort exerts strain on the communication between the two of you, and that could lead to the suppression of information that needs to be shared for proper care. You have to take responsibility for finding the right doctor; and s/he is out there.

|