Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: EYE PROBLEMS

Indicar - Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:11 pm

I am on medications to bring down my sugar & B.P. levels which are high. My normal everyday vision seems ok. But in my right eye I'm aware of yellow-blue cloudy areas. When l focus in to read say newspaper print I'm aware of small grey spots - two of which are v. close to my centre of vision. Also recently I'm seeing all sorts of black, blue & white spots in both eyes which flash when I blink. I've had a dialated eye exam and the Retina etc. looks ok. My Doc. thinks all this may just be 'cos of shifting Sugar & B.P., but it all seems so intense. I'm really anxious - anyone got any advice?
 Dr. N. Haider - Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:56 am

Diabetes and hypertension, uncontrolled, are the worst enemies of eyesight.

A dilated examination has revealed no significant problems with your retina. So, you should not be worried.

I think the doctor is true in saying that a shifting of sugar and BP towards normal is causing such spots.

I have some questions in mind: Do these spots remain at the same place? or do they move around as you move your gaze? Is it possible that they have been there for quite sometime and you have noticed them now?

Also, it'd be helpful if you provide your age, time since diagnosis, glucose and BP values when diagnosed, and the values now.

Thanks,
Najaf Haider MBBS
 Indicar - Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:51 am

Thank you for your response. In answer to your queries I would like to try and describe my sumptoms in a little more detail (so please patient with me!).

• I'm aware of yellow-blue-pink cloudy areas in both eyes. The cloud that worries me most is in my right eye; it is a prominent cloud in my central line of vision. The 'clouds' seem to shimmer with little black dots. When I close my eyes I can still see the clouds which seem 'illuminated'. The problem started 2 months ago and was limited to my right eye, in the last week the problem has started to happen in my left eye with a new cloud appearing everyday. The only thing I can even vaguely compare it to is the aura migraine sufferers experience – except that this stays (it occasionally fades and then flairs up again). I’ve also had this clouds appear and then disappear in about 24 hours (although these were in peripheral vision and I’m not sure if they’re just less noticeable)
• With my right eye, when l focus in to read say newspaper print I'm aware of grey patches (which also shimmer with black dots) in the areas where I experience the clouds. If I am reading newsprint then the patches obscure the bottom half of the work I am reading and also words along to the left and right.
• I'm seeing all sorts of black, blue & white spots in both eyes which flash. These disturbances seem to react to light.
• I am experiencing a strange phenomenon where I see 'static' which looks like a TV with bad reception - this is most prominent in poor or low light conditions and also on first waking up
I have been diabetic for 5 years - but have not controlled it very well. about 7 weeks ago I approached my doctor because I wanted to address this. My BP then was 180/100 and when I had it checked about a week ago it was 145/80. My HB1C was around 12 6 weeks ago - I'm having another blood test in a month. My recent daily bloods test have shown my sugar levers to be between 6 & 7.
 Indicar - Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:53 pm

Sorry I also forgot to mention that I am 31 years old.
 Dr. N. Haider - Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:48 am

User avatar Hi

Although a dilated exam by your practitioner revealed no abnormality, if you are not satisfied, you should arrange for another dilated 'fundoscopy' and ask for a 'perimetry' as well.

A dilated pupil indirect fundoscopy will detect any changes in the retina (the main component in sight). A good doctor having experience is necessary to pick up details.

A perimetry will detect any actual loss in your visual field, and is usually computerized.

Normal studies should allay your worries.

|