Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Could hubby be diabetic?

reyleejo - Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:56 pm

My hubby just had bllod work done, as he was not feeling well, CC was headaches (almost as bad as migraines) and dizziness, abdominal pain around belly button area, and diarrhea, hunger after eating. He is 32, poor health due to congenital heart disease, secondary pulmonary hypertension, and os now in heart failure and on COREG 25mg 2x a day. (as well as lanoxin and vasotec).He is 6 ft 3 and 168 lbs.

His blood test results indicate (non fasting) he is hypoglycemic it was 59. I believe they said his insullin level was high. he goes the 6th for a GTT.
He also had abnormal result on RBC, HG and Hematocrits.
RBC 6.1
HG 20
Hematocrits 63.6

last year

HG was 19.7
heamotcrits 59.3

(I might have HG and hematocrit levels reversed. I don't think I do... but I might.

Could he be diabetic?

Headaches are frequent, irritability often and his personality is different.. moody I guess... which is not good..

He also complains of confusion, (of cloudy feeling)
His mother had diabetes when she went into heart failure. and when she got a heart transplant. the diabetes went away? Never heard of this before but I am dure you have.

What do you make of this?

Could it be diabetes because his hematocrits are high and puts him at risk, since his heart is failing ?

Thank you for you assistance
 Dr. N. Haider - Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:49 am

Diabetes means a 'raised' blood glucose and (usually) 'low' insulin levels.

According to this, your husband is not diabetic. As he was 59 (mg/dl) even when non-fasting.

Let me know what were the results of the GTT.

Najaf Haider MBBS
 reyleejo - Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:12 pm

His results were the same

They took his blood before he did the GTT and it was 59.
They took it 1 hr later ... 59
waited anotehr hour and still 59...

He gets really bad headaches, hunger after eating, irritability,
mood swings, lightheadness or dizziness,..and what he descibes as confusion....like a cloudiness...'
I am sure this is when his blood sugar is way down

The only sugar he added was to his coffee which was very substantial... he switched to decaf and splenda... has been watching his carbs since the first test and still no difference with his sugar.

He does not eat sweets of any kind.... once in a long while he will have a candy bar but that is very rare. He has even cut out sodas and drinks more water

Could this have anything to do with his Hematicrits being severely high as well as Hemoglobins?

Hematocrits were 60.3
Hemoglobins 20.6
RBC 6.1
He has a appointment with a hematologist....for his Heamtocrits and Hemoglobins..

Should I make a appt with a Endocrinologists?

He is in heart failure.. So that is the reaseon his RBC is up...

Any assistance in this is appreciated. Thank you
 Dr. N. Haider - Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:23 am

User avatar hi,

the GTT suggests that probably he is having an exaggerated insulin response to glucose. This extra insulin might or might not be coming from its true location: pancreas. The hunger and dizziness spells are due to hypoglycemia (low blood glucose)

Did he have a cat scan done?

Its good that a hematologist is following his labs. Its probably wise to involve an endocrinologist as well.

Najaf Haider MBBS

|